Saturday 3 May 2014

Mountain Healing Time

Gosh, that sounds so airy-fairy. And if you know me... airy-fairy I am most certainly not. But I have been trying to find ways of coping with this sustained wait, with the uncertainty and with the tough decisions possibly coming our way. 

One of the main ways that I have always coped with life's ups and downs, apart from personal connections, has been to simply get out. To get outside, in nature, and walk, run, kayak, row, swim or sometimes simply sit. 

There is a magic to outside, a certain calmness and serenity, a certain quiet that is lacking from other spaces. But most importantly for me, I think, there is a vastness. A vastness that places things in perspective. 

That is one of the reasons why I often choose mountains, over any other outside space. There is an imposing quality to them, but also the realisation that things in life are bigger than ourselves. That we are but a speck, in front of the towering mass above us. 


Strangely though, there is also power that comes when you stand at the bottom of a mountain, looking  up at its vastness. And that is the knowledge that you can scale it. Having done it before, you can do it again. Step by step, one foot in front of the other, the mountain can be climbed. Not to mention that the view from the top can be breathtaking... 

So I have been escaping outside lately. Up on the mountain sometimes, simply in the garden at others. I feel the outside grounds me and heals me and I am able to start another day. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...